Sunday, October 11, 2009

Storybook Villages in France






While hiking through and around the small villages and hamlets in the Ardeche region of France mid-September, I was amazed at the age of the buildings and remarkable way they are maintained for generations. I am posting just a few of many photos. The first is of the village of Banne - simply charming. It is situated in the foothills of the Cevennes Mountains just below the ruins of a Knights Templar Chateau built around the early 1200's.

Second is the very small walled village of Lussan where the well-known ceramic guinea hens are made. It is perched high on a hill for easy defense.

Within the smaller hamlets I found many archways connecting homes one to another. They are not large enough for even small cars to pass through but just right for a donkey with wagon.

Last photo is the farmhouse where I stayed for a week. Portions of it date back to the 1300's with the majority of the visible structure dating to the 17 - 1800's when it was a silkworm farm.
It has been lovingly restored with all modern conveniences and an indescribable view.

1 comment:

aprillew said...

Oh my! Beautiful and amazing! I love the pictures....